1. Make certain your team is the best possible group of employees possible. Evaluate all employees top to bottom right now and coach up or out C level employees.
2. Designate a recruiting leader to oversee recruitment. Someone needs to take ownership of the process and procedures, regardless of how large or small your business is.
3. Make sure your hiring managers have all the tools they need to present a professional image for your company: Job descriptions, updated compensation plans/benefits and interview questions. Have a meeting in advance and review the interview process with all hiring managers.
4. Create a budget for the 4th quarter. Determine where and when you will place all recruitment ads. At FitnessJobs.com, we believe our unlimited job posting subscriptions are the best value anywhere and should be part of everybody’s recruiting plan. However, we also believe you should have a diverse recruiting strategy that includes a variety of options.
5. Create DYNAMIC recruitment ads! Great employees are attracted to great ads. Crummy ads attract crummy people! Keep in mind when creating effective recruitment ads: Job Seekers are interested in “What’s in it for them”. List compensation ranges, benefits, perks, continuing education reimbursements if any, club memberships for them and possible family members, relocation allowances etc. Make sure your ads have an opening branding paragraph about your business and any accolades and what’s special about your business. Recruitment ads should not be MERCENARY filled with MUST DOs!
6. Make certain you respond to all applicants. That is the professional approach. Keep in mind that anyone you don’t hire may become a member or have family members that may me member prospects.
7. Make sure you have a well thought out training program in writing and equally important is a well thought out onboarding process for all new employees.
As a final note, recruiting new team members is expensive in labor as well as recruitment costs. Do a great job and your business will reap the rewards in a higher level of member retention, customer care and greater profits!
Alan Cohen is a renowned fitness industry expert with more than 30 years of experience in the health club industry. He is the president and founder of FitnessJobs.com and author of: “How to Land Your Dream Fitness Job - A Complete Guide to Finding Your Dream Job in the Health and Fitness Industry.” He can be reached at 800-259-4397 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.