Managing and leading a team of people in all industries have similar characteristics. If you have a passion for fitness, customer service, leadership and experience, plus a sales and marketing aptitude, then you have the “Right Stuff” for health club management. Below I will fill in the blanks and try to help you with some valuable steps you need to take to land a club management job.
If you are new to the industry, but have the experience and skills listed above than you need to beef up your resume with some club experience. Below are some easy steps to take.
1. Become a member of the most successful club you can afford.
2. Take a part-time job as a front desk associate at the most successful club with the BEST REPUTATION in the area.
3. Get a job part-time (If you have a full-time job) in the membership sales department. This is critical. If you understand the ins and outs of membership sales, then you have your foot in the door. Track your accomplishments!
4. Take some personal training sessions so you can see how this department works. Personal training is a critical component and profit center for health clubs.
5. Pay attention to the cleanliness, maintenance and customer service of the club. This will show you have an aptitude about these important aspect of club operations.
6. Try to get a part-time job with supervisory experience in a smaller franchise club. A weekend managers job would be a valuable asset to your resume.
After 12 months, you now have enough experience to apply for a club management job. Your economic needs may be the driver on your approach here. The more flexible your compensation requirements are, the easier your career change will be. You probably will have numerous entry level management opportunities. FitnessJobs.com is a great site to explore health club opportunities. Also, you may look at club management jobs at IHRSA, a fitness industry trade organization. Your previous experience may move you along rapidly in this industry.
When making a decision on possible employers, do this carefully. Try to join a well-respected, successful organization. As you enter the fitness industry there will be no shortage of amazing opportunities, as it is a booming industry and will be for the rest of time based on the ability of health clubs to improve lives.
Alan Cohen is a renowned fitness industry expert with more than 30 years of experience in the health club industry. He is the president and founder of FitnessJobs.com and author of: “How to Land Your Dream Fitness Job - A Complete Guide to Finding Your Dream Job in the Health and Fitness Industry.” He can be reached at 800-259-4397 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.